The 2019 Call of Helmholtz AI Projects is open now!
This autumn marks the start of this funding line funded by the Helmholtz Association's Initiative and Networking Fund (INF). It is at the core of our mission of fostering cross-field creativity by stimulating collaborative research projects in applied machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI).
- Objective: The objective of Helmholtz AI Projects is facilitating research that addresses cross-center ML/AI challenges and methods; they should be seed-like, collaborative and have the potential to quickly spawn larger follow-up projects.
- Duration of funding: Projects must be completed within a maximum of three years. That's why we are explicitly calling for ‘high risk, high gain’ project proposals that prize learning from (fast) failure over incremental success.
- Scale of funding: Applicants may request up to €200k from the funding line, which has to be matched by the participating centers with the same amount of money (up to €200k), in line with INF guidelines.
- Eligibility: All Helmholtz researchers are eligible for funding; at least two Helmholtz Centers must apply jointly.
- Submission: Please submit your proposal only via our Helmholtz AI project portal.
- Documents: All important documents for submission are provided here:
- Helmholtz AI Projects Call 2019
- Appendix 1: Helmholtz AI Projects template
- Appendix 2: Criteria for conflict of interests
- Appendix 3: Data Protection
- Deadlline: The deadline for applications is January 17, 2020 (end of day, CET).
- Review: After a swift external review process, we aim for funding decisions in April 2020.
We are hoping that our project call will help you to develop enriching partnerships and exciting new project ideas. We are looking forward to receiving your project applications. In case of questions please contact projectsnoSp@firstname.lastname@example.org.